Translate

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Reflections on Oxford Series Part 7: Finals.

                          Strong men tremble when they hear it / They’ve got cause enough to fear it!
                - Bill Sikes, My Name, Oliver!
Finals. I had heard enough about them in the three years before I had to do them, and seen people crumbling under the pressure they brought. I took comfort in the fact that I could do three-quarters of my degree without having to engage with them. I waived them at every opportunity between 2013 and October 2016. And then finals came knocking at my doorstep.

And Ruth Akinradewo turned into a different person.

Never have I ever experienced so much pressure and stress, and I have promised to NEVER again do that to myself. For my sake as well as the sake of the people around me who know and love me.

I’ve poked fun at it, but honestly, stress in Oxford is not a joke. And finals – the final examinations in which all the skills and knowledge you’ve accumulated in the years of your degree to date are really put to the test – take that stress level to an all-time high.

I got to repeating a mantra to myself in my final year as the pressure in the pressure-cooker got to an unbearable degree: Oxford, you did not bring me into this world and you will not take me out.

I posted it as a Facebook status on a day I was particularly feeling the pressure, and I think it made a lot of people laugh – and honestly when I had come up with that declaration it had been in part jest, but as things got more and more intense it really became less and less of a joke and a real, simple way of talking sense into myself when I felt like I was losing my senses.

I’m a Christian and so I believe that Jesus has the answer to all of my struggles and in Him lies the solution to allay all my fears. Yet I knew that I was going to need to be reminded of this a LOT more than usual to get through finals in one piece. Consequently, I had posters all over my wall with some of the key verses to remind me of God’s peace. And I STILL fell apart.

It seemed ridiculous, really. So many times I had to talk to myself and say, “Ruth, look, you’ve been through this and this and this, are you really going to let Oxford break you?” No matter how hard it could be, Oxford did not give me life and so it wasn’t going to take it from me. My life wasn’t going to fall apart because of Oxford. It really wasn’t that deep.

That’s what the theory was. In practice, it was pretty hard to exercise calmness and faith and all that good stuff.

I had fourteen exams. Fourteen.

Four in the first week of final term, and ten more over a two-week period in the fifth and sixth week of term. On top of that, in the previous term I submitted two near-8,000 word dissertation-like projects – on the same day. It’s not hard to see why the pressure got to me and got the better of me.

You speak to any Oxford graduate about finals and they will tell you they were intense.

Pressure and stress took different forms for different people. In my case, it made me withdrawn, pretty low, indecisive, anxious, an insomniac, unable to see the bigger picture, work-obsessed. I use the expression “I nearly killed myself” in more than one sense.

As someone that is usually upbeat, cheerful and a laughoholic, this version of myself couldn’t really be more different to my real self. For some time I hid myself away because I felt like I was supposed to have it all together. As the Christian, wasn’t I supposed to be showing everyone else how to do finals whilst balancing green tea on my head, living in a haze of peaceful serenity whilst everyone else was tearing their hair out? (I may do a post about struggling with depression as a Christian another time.)

I don’t think the stress of finals being the straw that broke the camel’s back was about me not being Christian enough. I think it revealed the tension at play between being human and doing Oxford finals.

This just wasn’t normal. I was someone who had gone through 10 GCSEs, 4 A-Levels and the AQA Baccalaureate, and numerous music and drama exams. I had done Prelims in my first year as well. Coping with exam stress and pressure wasn’t new to me. But I had never reacted like this.

After handing in my two big projects, I took one day off and then threw myself into revision for my finals. I was two weeks into the Easter break but I decided to stay in Oxford to revise to optimum level.

Those 2 big projects - done!
The first two weeks went really well. I enjoyed re-reading the books I’d enjoyed in my second year, getting to read them without the thought of having to write an essay on them imminently.
Then I don’t know what happened. Well, actually I do. I started suffering from a serious case of anxiety.

            There were too many books! How was I going to get through all of these works of literature in the six weeks I had left? And know the quotes by heart, the themes at the flick of a light switch? And Dante, DANTE...

Dante = Italy’s answer to Shakespeare.
My my, another reason doing Italian added to my struggles.

Dante Alighieri, frankly a brilliant poet, should rightly be studied, I’m not disputing that. His Divina Commedia (Divine Comedy) is an awe-inspiring work made up of three volumes: Hell, Purgatory and Heaven, documenting his vision of realms of the afterlife.

But do I regret that we had to study three 700-page volumes of medieval Italian? Yes. Yes, yes, and yes. When I picked the module that celebrated the greatest of Italy’s writers, I thought about how I would be studying some of the most influential literature in Europe, and at that, literature that celebrated God and Heaven. Plus to be honest, it was clear that all the Italian tutors wanted you to pick it.

Did I think about how I was going to have to revise all of it? No. Did I think about how I was going to have to translate medieval Italian in my exam? No. Did I think about how I was going to have to learn line-by-line verses of ancient Italian? No.

My mum thinks it was Dante that really submerged me in panic. Maybe so: there’s no doubt that having three volumes of 700+ page works in medieval Italian was not exactly a recipe for tranquillity.

BUT… There are people that never had to read Dante that can relate to my experience of anxiety.

After two weeks of my revision going well, I became unable to sleep. It’s true that I have struggled with sleep disturbance in the past, but this was quite different. Night after night, I would get no more than 2 hours’ sleep – not because I had gone to bed at 4am, but because I was lying in bed consumed by stress about work and exams and my mind simply would not go to sleep.

The sleeplessness was probably the biggest battle during finals. I was already waking up at 6:30 to start work latest by 8am, and ending my working day at 10pm. I was working all day. To be honest, I quite relished the idea of sleep as a way to get away from the constant slog of work. And now even that was being taken away from me?

And of course, when you don’t sleep well, you don’t work well. I found myself falling asleep at my desk during the day because I was tired. Then I would feel I had to do more work because falling asleep wasn’t factored into my schedule!

                I more or less stopped having fun because of my finals. I stepped back a little from choir, I stopped going to my church’s weekly student nights and just went to church on Sundays, I completely stopped athletics in my final year… I’m not saying that it wasn’t sensible to scale back some of my activities to give myself more time to revise, and make sure I wasn’t spreading myself thinly between too much but rather giving more to what I could manage at a particular time, but the sense of wanting to do well meant I really couldn’t see further than my finals. My wellbeing was suffering.

                The irony is, all the wanting to do well and worrying about not doing well enough, was stopping me from doing well! Worry and anxiety of this nature consumes you and actually massively destabilises and even paralyses you. As a result, I would sit in the library from 8-10am staring at my books and my notes and not making any sense of them, or barely writing three sentences on my spreadsheet.

                The change in me was so apparent to my mum, my friends, my pastors and my tutors that they stepped in in full force to do whatever they could to help. I really couldn’t have gotten through it without them. I got on my own nerves with the state I was in, so I don’t know how they managed to deal with me as kindly and understandingly as they did.

I wasn’t planning to go home until Easter weekend, but my mum got me to come home THREE times in the week before then because I really needed some help. I was being so irrational. I remember when I got home, saying to my mum and one of my friends over and over again, “I’m gonna fail. I’m gonna fail.” The reality is, that was completely untrue – despite how badly my revision was going, my results in mock exams a couple of weeks later were still far from fails.

My experience is not that different to a lot of finalists.

We all knew how awful finals were and mutual support and encouragement came through then like no other time. Every time you met a fellow finalist, you would boost each other by saying: “You can do it, I believe in you! We can do this!” (Because of course you had to encourage yourself as well.) One of my friends and I, having a particularly rough day in the library, joked that we could make a mixtape of the amount of times we’d sighed! Every time the other sighed and put her head on the table in total despair, the other would say “Are you OK?” and then after lamenting together for a few minutes, we’d pick up our pens and start working again. You saw the best of humanity and people coming together during finals, honestly. We were all carrying the horrible burden together.

               Every single one of my friends, from what I can remember, turned into a different person over finals. Many of us struggled with insomnia and had to get prescribed sleeping tablets during exam season in order to be able to rest. Even with my sleeping tablets, I was sleepy in more than a few of my exams.

Angst, irritability, depression, indecisiveness, frustration, panic… I mean, it was different for each person but generally finals weren’t the happiest times of our lives.

See how happy I was post-exams??!

Oxford finals can actually get so unbearable that year in, year out, a large number of people decide to rusticate. Actually, this doesn’t just happen before finals, but can happen at any point during one’s degree. Rustication is when a student takes a year out of their degree for health reasons. It can be because of physical health, but more and more frequently now it is linked to mental health. I heard twelve lawyers in my final year rusticated in the two weeks before their nine exams, because it was just getting to be too much. 

Click here to continue reading... Next post:

Part 8: Oxford and Mental Health.

No comments:

Post a Comment