Translate

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Part 3: Oxford and its Quirks (Good and Bad)

OK, so I realise so far I might have painted quite a bleak picture of Oxford life. Forgive me, but I like to be real about things. I could have told you what you might want me to hear, speaking as an alumna of what has just been voted as the best university in the world.

                As I’ve stated before, I am not by any means saying that Oxford was all bad. I’m simply being honest about my impressions and feelings about being part of its community for 4 years.

                There is no doubt that some of my fondest memories were fashioned in Oxford. I made some of the greatest friends ever in that place, many of whom I’m sure I will be friends with for life.

COLLEGE LIFE

The college communities of Oxford make it possible to get to know people on a much deeper level than you may get at other universities. Composed of over thirty colleges, Oxford allows each student access to a close-knit community of fellow students of many different subject ranges. I’ve spoken to some of my friends at other universities about this and they say that most of their friends are on their course, because they don’t really come into contact with those studying other subjects.

                Somerville was my college, and I am glad it was. It is one of the more inclusive colleges in Oxford. I never felt out of place at my college; I felt welcome. Not so at some other Oxford colleges, for example Christ Church. As well as originally being a women’s college, Somerville was committed to levelling the playing field in other arenas.

                Even though Somerville isn’t one of the richer colleges, … OK, hold up, I’m going to have explain this. Yes, Oxford University is one institution. Yet each college is different in its own way. As well as differing in the times that they were founded, having different principals presiding over them, separate accommodation and separate choirs and sports teams, Oxford colleges can also vary drastically in how much money they possess. My college is in fact owned by St. John’s College, a much larger and you guessed it, much richer college five minutes up the road.

                It’s no surprise that a college rich enough to buy another college’s land is going to have much more to offer its students. My friends at John’s could get up to £500 worth to spend on “academic-related” products. So you could get a tablet for free. Not so at Somerville!

                A student’s financial expenditure could also vary drastically depending on which college they attended. Thankfully, my college was very good at subsidising things like meals, so although we had to put down a mandatory deposit towards catered meals at the beginning of each term, we didn’t have to pay more than £75/80 each term, and if we did not use up all the money allocated, we could get our money back at the end. That wasn’t so for my friends at Pembroke, who have to pay for “formal” meals every week, regardless of whether or not they go to them. And they don’t get their money back. Plus, their food isn’t even particularly good.

                I’ve never understood why, although attending the same university, a student’s experience should differ so enormously from college to college. I don’t think it’s fair, and many would agree.

                However, the collegiate system itself does work quite well in practice. Somerville was in many ways like an extended family, where every time you walked across the quad (big grassy lawn found in every Oxford college) [Oh and yes at Somerville you can walk on the grass – a privilege you don’t get at some other colleges! Proof that we’re less stuffy.] you would bump into someone you knew and have a five-minute chat. Through living together, sharing kitchens and just everyday college life, you got to know people really well – whether they were in the same year as you or not. I liked that.

The entrance from my college,  Somerville. (That was my brother's hand, LOL.)

BUSTLING SCENE

                Oxford is not a boring place. There is ALWAYS something happening in Oxford. Whether it’s a big shot coming down to the Union, or a big sports event between Oxford and Cambridge, or the big Christian Union-organised annual carol services, there’s something for everyone. There are new societies set up pretty much every term.

               In my time in Oxford I got involved in as much as I possibly could.

                I was a member of my college choir; my college Christian Union and the university-wide Christian Union played a big part in my student life; I loved my church; I joined the athletics club; was part of the ACS (African and Caribbean Society) – admittedly more in my second year than any other year; I’ve already mentioned the Oxford Union; was heavily involved with Oxford Students for Life, the university’s pro-life society; was part of Rhodes Must Fall; was part of Somerville Music Society; Somerville Writing Group; the university’s Alliance Française; a gender equality group set up at college known as the 1920s Society; and even performed in a little play during the Cuppers competition led by the Dramatic Union in my first year!

                If anything, the problem was that there was TOO much to do. For someone with as many interests as me, the hard thing was admitting to myself that I couldn’t do everything. To this end, I did have to let some things go, but in my second year I got to have the most fun – because I had NO exams! I’m glad I got a year off exams so that I could fully enjoy university life without quite as much stress, but in retrospect, having survived finals, I wouldn’t have minded if they had been split over a couple of years instead of being spread out over a few weeks!

INTELLECTUAL DEBATE

                A lot of people that have left Oxford talk about how they miss the intellectual debate that is part of daily life there. It’s only been a few months for me so I haven’t felt it yet; besides I seem to end up having deep conversations with people wherever I go!

                But that was another of the things I liked about Oxford. Unlike some groups of people I’ve been with, where the conversation can go on for 10 minutes about what kind of foundation or nail varnish is best – boring and completely irrelevant for someone who doesn’t wear make-up! – in Oxford, our conversations would often centre on ideological viewpoints, like the key issues behind politics and faith. Conversations were never boring.

                They could get quite heated, though. See, the thing about Oxford is, a big part of the reason people got there is that they can express their views confidently. That sadly leads to a sense of entitlement and arrogance about some people when they speak. Some people want to have a discussion with you where you exchange views and listen to one another’s points of view. Others just want to shout you down without giving ear to your opinions. That did get on my nerves.

                One of the things my friends and family told me before I went to Oxford was, “Make sure you don’t turn into one of those arrogant snobs!” And I pray to God I didn’t. I actually think I would cry if someone told me that post-Oxford I have turned into an arrogant snob. Because arrogance is one of those character traits I can’t stand, and I’d hate it if that became part of who I am.

CENSORSHIP

                Now, I’m far from your typical Oxonian. As I said before, I’m a black, female, Mancunian, Christian Oxonian. Proud of each of those adjectives, but probably none more so than that last one. Christian. I didn’t choose to be born black, be born a girl, be born in Manchester, but I did choose to become a Christian. Each forms an important part of my identity, but my faith is the one that shapes me the most.

                And in Oxford I regularly felt as though I was under attack because of my faith.

                This isn’t a pity party: I’m not new to this. Christians are supposed to be persecuted; it comes as part of the package.

                I get that some people don’t believe in God. I get that some people think “organised religion” (even though that’s not what Christianity is to me) is stupid. I came to realise that the most widespread worldview in Oxford was liberal atheism. But I don’t get how placing views that are anti-religion and anti-Christianity on a pedestal is fair.

                And I saw that happening time and again in Oxford.

                I simply gave up on OUSU, Oxford University Student Union: aka the organisation which every student contributes to and which holds itself to representing the entire 22,000 student body – because I felt entirely unrepresented by it.

                Yes, as a Christian there are certain things I believe that go against the grain of wider society. I believe in the Bible, a book which hasn’t changed even though society has.

                One of the things that I believe which is shaped by my faith is that life begins at conception. I am pro-life. (I'm pro-life and I don't see why that's a problem.)

                So are a lot of other people, and not all of them are Christians or follow any faith at all.

                OUSU didn’t care about them. Debates on pro-life matters were regularly shut down in Oxford. One was with the claim that a debate over whether abortion culture was harmful to wider society would pose “security concerns, both physical and mental” to students. Twice I went to OUSU Council meetings where the opinions of pro-life people like myself were completely discounted. Although the student union claims to represent the entire student body, it already has a “pro-choice” policy. That means from the offset they are biased towards those that are in favour of abortions, and against those who are not. I don’t really see how they can in so doing, represent the entire student body.

At the first [of these OUSU Council meetings], there was a proposition on whether or not OUSU should donate £200 (which, by the way, is about a quarter of OUSU's annual budget) to finance an abortion campaign. I spoke quite impassionedly against the motion, and there were quite a few people out there on the same side as me. But of course the motion passed. After all, this is a student body that is already committed to donating £50 to Abortion Rights each year.

Again, two weeks before I was due to leave Oxford, a motion was discussed calling for the pro-life charity, LIFE, which supports women through pregnancies and helps terminally-ill patients across the country, to be banned on university grounds. Come on now, this is not an ISIS-supporting network, it is a charity that does a lot of good across the nation. But it was being touted as though it were an extremist breeding ground. One girl said that the claim that abortion is linked to post-traumatic stress, depression and ill health is COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED and that LIFE was making it all up.

                I got fed up. I got annoyed. I got frustrated. And then finally I figured, I’m leaving this place in 2 weeks anyway, I don’t have to deal with this rubbish anymore. And I walked out of the meeting.

Never have to deal with OUSU again.
That was after 4 years of it. Four years of having my beliefs constantly rubbished and hounded. Sure, I can walk out because I’m done with Oxford now, but my heart is not happy thinking of all the other Christians or people who have similar belief systems as me being hounded and silenced across the university simply because the way we see the world doesn’t fit the way they WANT us to see it.

Click here to continue reading... Next post:

Part 4: Student Life in Oxford

No comments:

Post a Comment