Translate

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Part 1: An Introduction to Oxford

Prologue 

Around 2002, a little 7-year old girl sat in the attic-library of her home, surrounded by books. She peered closely at two large ones in particular. One was a thick book with the words ‘OXFORD’ imprinted on its bound spine in bold, and the other was a Cambridge Companion. This sight made the little girl ponder on something, and she uttered the words: “Mum, which one is better, Oxford or Cambridge?”, turning to her mother, who sat a few metres away.

Her mother responded after some thought, “Well, for English Oxford is probably better, Cambridge is generally better for sciences.”
From that moment on, this little girl decided she wanted to go to Oxford.

That little girl was me.

I’m 22 now and I recently graduated from Oxford, so you could say a long-cherished childhood dream came true!

But… All that glitters is not gold. Oxford wasn’t exactly what I had hoped for and expected. I’ve talked about writing about my reflections on Oxford for a long time and here it is, that long-awaited post.

In this post I’ll be telling you things from my point of view, and not very differently to my usual way, presenting things transparently. This is an unfiltered collation of my thoughts and reflections on Oxford, that prestigious and ancient institution known world-over. They don’t have to be the same as other Oxford graduates’ opinions, or the opinions and experiences of current students. I also don’t speak for every female Oxonian, or every Christian Oxonian, or every black Oxonian.  Or every Mancunian or Northern Oxonian. Or every black female Christian Northern Oxonian. You get my drift. This is “Reflections on Oxford, Ruth Akinradewo style”. My opinions and experiences aren’t being put here for debate, they simply are MY OWN opinions and experiences.

OK, now we’ve got that straight… Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.

The Prestige of Oxford

                When my mum answered my question about 15 years ago, I thought I would be studying English at university. I have always loved reading and writing. But in fact, towards the end of my school years, I realised that I loved languages too much to let go. French was my favourite subject, and English (Literature) came a close second. Initially I had thought I would keep up English at university alongside French, but after much advice and contemplation, I decided upon French and Italian. Heads up: I didn’t learn Italian at school, so my degree was in French and BEGINNER’S Italian. Craziest decision I ever made I think. Do you know, before electing for that choice I had told myself at all the open days I went to that I would NEVER pick up a language from scratch? Too much stress. I had started learning French at the age of seven; why would I start studying another language at the age of eighteen and then hope in four years to have reached the same level in the first language? No, thank you. Well, a few months down the line and my schoolteachers and my mum had convinced me it was a good idea for me to study two languages to give myself more opportunities, assuring me that I was well capable of learning another language quickly and efficiently.

                Four years later and I have GRADUATED in French and Italian! Crazy tingz.

                I don’t recall many days of my four-year degree going by without me taking a moment to thank God in amazement that this was actually my university. I mean, like I said before, this was a childhood dream, to go to Oxford. Oxford, the university which had existed since the 1000s and was known all over the world. Oxford, the university where some of the greatest world-changers had been educated. Oxford, the location which had unashamed links to the furtherance of the gospel.

                Oxford was MY university. Me, little Ruth who defied almost every possible stereotype of the typical Oxonian. Black, Northern, a Christian, from a state school . . . It amazed me that against all the odds I had ended up in this place. I was awestruck by the amount of opportunities that lay right at my fingertips simply by nature of me being there. I was amazed that I was studying at the same college of the UK’s first female Prime Minister, India’s first female Prime Minister and countless other world-changers (of course Margaret Thatcher did a lot of things that I didn’t like and that most Somervillians despise - but I do have to give her Kudos for being a strong woman in a man’s world!). I could go to the Oxford Union and listen to speakers of the calibre of Jesse Jackson, Malala Yousafzai (who, as it happens, has just been accepted to study at Oxford!), sit in a hall where Malcolm X and Winston Churchill had spoken . . . The history of this place was amazing! Just a few doors down from the oldest debating society in the world was the Methodist Church where heroes of the faith Charles and John Wesley had started their ministry. Oxford breathed history and every day I walked in the trail of it.

My college, Somerville! (On a rainy day.)

                But in the history and age of Oxford also lies some of its greatest undoings. Oxford is the place most stubborn to change that I have ever known. In my final year there I was well and truly done with it.


               People ask me now, “Do you miss Oxford?” No, no I don’t. I will miss my friends, I enjoyed my degree, I loved my church, and I have many great memories of my time there. But four years as an Oxford student is enough for me. I do get quite bewildered when people tell me that they’re going back for a Masters, or a PhD, but Kudos to them if that’s what they want to do – I know being there isn’t easy! But as much as Oxford can bring good things, I would definitely not choose to go back.

            I am generally a positive person and I’m not saying that Oxford was all bad – not at all. Am I happy that I ended up at Oxford? Yes. It was one of my greatest dreams and ending up there helped my confidence.  It helped me believe in myself more and see myself as capable.


The Journey There...


It wasn’t easy to get into Oxford. It isn’t easy to get into Oxford. Even though it was five years ago that I applied to the university, I haven’t forgotten the rigours of the process. There’s no place like Oxford (though Cambridge is pretty similar). I started my degree in October 2013 but I in fact started applying to Oxford around September 2012, I believe it was.

                I started earlier than most, because I applied for a choral scholarship before the academic application began. For those of you that don’t know, a choral scholarship is a (usually) monetary award given to singers to sing in a choir at the university. Thank God, even after my ridiculous nervousness during my audition (I hyperventilated after my audition and had to breathe into a bag – that had never happened to me before and has never happened since, thankfully) and a nerve-wracking interview, I was awarded a choral scholarship at Somerville College, Oxford [I’ll explain the collegiate system later, it is pretty confusing].

                As a result I was told that I should apply to Somerville for the academic round of my application. But oh no, applying for a place was not easy – no sir! BA applicants to any other uni had until the 15th of January to apply – but if you were applying to Oxford you had to have your personal statement ready by the 15th of October to apply. (NB: You can’t apply to both Oxford and Cambridge; the rivalry between both of these institutions is REAL.)

                As well as doing the personal statement WAY before everyone else, you had to send a marked essay both in English and one in the language you were already studying (so French for me), and do a Modern Languages Aptitude Test (MLAT). Ah, but because I was to learn a language from scratch, I had to be tested even further. As well as being tested on French grammar, I had to complete a test measuring how easily I would be able to pick up a foreign language by: figuring out a completely made-up language. Yes, you read that right. There were a bunch of sentences configured in a make-believe language and a couple of sentences would be translated in English. From the translated sentences you had to figure out the language patterns and match them to new sentences that followed the same structure. My specimen practice paper made me cry. (Library study buddies of Sale Grammar, you may well remember.)

                I only got through half of the weird bit of that MLAT, but somehow I still got to the interview stage. I had two interviews, one for the French side, and the other for Italian. I had 15 minutes before going into each interview to read and prepare some poetry for discussion. Unexpectedly I was given the English translation for the French poem as well as for the Italian one, which was nice! For my first interview, I think we spent about 5-10 minutes discussing my thoughts on the poem – in English, and then about 5-10 minutes discussing my personal statement in French, and then the final 10 minutes or so were in English. In my Italian interview I didn’t have to speak any Italian, thankfully! (Considering I was only just getting to grips with the language.) For some reason there was a German tutor in my interview, which I’ve never quite understood, but perhaps it was precisely because all of the conversation was to be in English that it was set up that way!

                It so happened that the poem I was given in my Italian interview I had already seen during prep for my Oxford interview, so that was reassuring! Though it seems I hadn’t quite understood the point of it, as the Italian tutor seemed to be trying to get me to say something else – I still to this day don’t know what that poem was about!
                So, fast forward about 6 weeks and on the 11th of December I found out I had gotten into Oxford! Our college (Somerville) in fact mistakenly posted out our letters second-class so we would have had to wait until the Monday instead of discovering whether or not we had gotten in on the Friday, as everyone else did – if not for the fact that they decided to spare us the agony of waiting to find out over the weekend by sending us an email instead.

When I opened that email and read what it said, I can tell you, I SCREAMED like never before. My mum was upstairs and she heard me screaming from downstairs and by the time I had rushed up to her room, I was crying. (I don’t usually cry from joy, but that was one of the rare occasions I did!) And of course from my reaction, when I said, “I’ve got news from Oxford”, she thought it was bad news. In between my tears and crazy emotion I told her that it was in fact good news. And I think she probably started screaming at that moment as well.

                On Results Day I learnt my hard work had paid off and I had obtained the grades I needed – so in October I was off to Oxford! But before that, I had a reading list to get through. I don’t know anyone at any other uni (but Cambridge is likely to be the same) that had a reading list before they even started studying there!! And of course, as I was studying French and Italian, I had to read a whole lot of books in a foreign language – and that takes a lot longer!! 

Click here to continue reading... Next post:

Part 2 - Oxford: At Odds with the Real World



No comments:

Post a Comment