Translate

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Part 5: Sub Fusc and Other Weird Oxford Traditions from the Medieval Times

Oxford is a strange place.

                It is not at all out of the ordinary to see monks walking around Oxford. Catholic monks dressed in long white robes and sandals. First time I saw it I did a double take, like Did I just get transported into another century? But after a while I got used to it. A neighbouring student building, St. Benet’s, has a live-in monastery for Benedictine monks.

                I kid you not: one of my friends once saw a group of them SPEAKING IN LATIN to each other in the street. In Latin. In 2017. Need I say more?

                If you ever wished you lived in the medieval times, Oxford is the place for you.

Matriculation

                When you first get inducted into the University of Oxford, you go through this weird ceremony. It involves you wearing this.

Little Ruth at matriculation, taken on the terrible camera phone I had at the time

                This is not a normal outfit. What is this stupid gown that has flaps on the sleeves? If I wanted to look like an idiot, I would have said so. But at least for matriculation, you all look like idiots together, so it isn’t so bad.

                It’s quite fun for all the city residents and tourists though, to see a few hundred young people walking through the street looking like that.

                Matriculation is mandatory and from what I remember it cost about £30 or so for the complete outfit, known as sub fusc. The commoner’s gown, the mortarboard – which, incidentally, you are not allowed to wear until you graduate (stupid!), but need to carry with you at all times – and the velvet ribbon. That’s for the ladies: the men had to wear dark suits with white bow ties and the gown on top. There were also scholar’s gowns, which looked much nicer, but cost about two-thirds more, so even though I could really have gotten one as I was a choral scholar, upon being told it was more for academic scholarships, I decided I’d keep my money.

                What happened in the matriculation ceremony, you ask me?

                A lot of bowing, and many words of Latin were released into the air to deaf ears. (Because again, we’re not fluent in Latin.)

Sub Fusc

                We’ll come back to the university’s obsession with Latin later.

                Now, let’s talk about exams and how strange Oxford makes them.

                Forget about the fact that we call mock exams ‘collections’. I have some even weirder info for you. You know that weird uniform I was just telling you about which consists of us looking like bats? Well, we have to wear that for our exams.

                At any other university – for goodness’ sake, even Cambridge has ditched this odd tradition! – you go to your exams wearing whatever you want. You ought to feel relaxed in what you wear, seeing as you feel tense and angsty in every other aspect of your being, right?

                Not if you’re in Oxford. If you’re in Oxford, you have to wear your sub fusc to a tee.

                You have to wear tights with your skirt, or black socks which cover your ankles if you’re wearing trousers. Yes, even if it’s 28 degrees. And you have to wear your stupid black gown on top of your white shirt. And you can’t take it off until you get into the exam hall. So there you stand sweating. I feel especially sorry for the guys, considering they have to wear their dark suits as well!

                And thou must not forget the mortarboard, the square hat that you’re not even allowed to WEAR! Because of course, if you don’t wear it, you are not dressed in full sub fusc, according to university guidelines. Guess what, heading down to my exams, having managed to get myself relatively calm, I had to run back to my room to get my mortarboard because I didn’t want to risk not being able to sit my exam because I didn’t have a stupid hat I couldn’t wear with me. I mean, it doesn’t get much more ridiculous than that. (But once I realised, and I really couldn’t be bothered to go back, so I didn’t! Shh, don’t tell – they never noticed.)

                I’ve heard that people that are not wearing satisfactory socks have been turned back from their exams because they were deemed to have been dressed inappropriately.

                Do you know, twice in my time at Oxford – in my second year I believe, and again in fourth year, there was a vote at the OUSU Council on whether or not we should keep or get rid of sub fusc? And BOTH TIMES the majority voted to keep it. I just don’t get it. There were so many good reasons to get rid of it: improved comfort; less stress; money saved; no reinforcement of ancient elitist Oxford culture which so many people feel left out of… but it still won. I think that says a lot about who still runs Oxford.

                Oh and of course, there are the carnations.

                There is a long-standing tradition in Oxford that on your first day of a set of exams, you wear a white carnation, pinned to the lapel of your gown. Then for all consecutive exams, excluding the last one, you wear a pink carnation. And then, for glory day – the final day of exams, when your freedom arrives – you wear a red carnation. This tradition is so commonplace in Oxford that the florists sell carnations in a special pack of three with a dressmaker’s pin especially for Oxford students.


A very happy Ruth on the last day of her Prelims (first year exams)

                They say it’s not compulsory but I’ve heard that the only reason some invigilators will allow for why you don’t have your carnation on is it that you have hay fever. Seriously?? As if actually sitting your exams and knowing your stuff wasn’t stressful enough, you have to worry about whether or not you have a carnation, whether it’s the right colour, and whether or not it is alive or dead when you pin it on. And then you have to worry about keeping it on. Worries I could do without on exam day, I reckon!!

                I really didn’t care much for the carnation thing. Once I’d got my carnations, I made them last even if the petals were curling up and turning brown and the stem was starting to go mouldy. (I’d just trim off the over-moist bit.) I’d much rather spend my time revising my quotes than walking 15 minutes to the florist for something as superfluous as a carnation! Also, my carnations often fell off on the way anyway, or during the course of the day. So it really wasn’t that deep for me. It was a frequent favour people asked on the college-wide Facebook group though: Does anyone have a spare pink carnation? I have an exam in an hour and mine has died! #Oxfordproblems.

Graduation

                The most ridiculous ceremony I have ever been part of. It was streamed online so some of my friends got to watch, and they were completely confounded.

                The introduction was in English. It was the only part spoken in a language I understood. The rest was in Latin.

                The proctor defended this for most of his speech, saying that “some people” might find it strange that the ceremony is conducted in Latin, but this is how it was done in the 1000s and so this is how we continue to do it. Alright then mate, if we had that approach to all of life we would still be doing a lot of terrible things because “that was how it was done back in the day”… Oh wait, Oxford already has that approach to everything.


                I have friends that studied Classics (Ancient Latin and Greek) that didn’t even understand all of the ceremony. So what hope did I have?

Luckily, our families in the audience had translations in the programmes they were carrying. We didn’t. So we sat through our own graduation ceremonies barely comprehending a word.

                Though there were some things we understood. When the proctor read out Engineeringaria and Computeria or some such invented word to denote subjects that obviously didn’t exist in the time of the Roman Empire, my friends and I couldn’t help ourselves. We burst out laughing. The absurdity was just hilarious.

                At several points in the ceremony, two proctors walked the length of the hall, to the door and back, holding their sceptres. Just because. Apparently it represents soliciting the votes of the Deans, allowing students to be admitted to their degrees. If you’ve ever seen two grown adults walking back and forth silently up and down a hall you’ll know it’s pretty hilarious. You could see a mix of embarrassment and amusement on their own faces.

                There was also a frightening recurrence of people taking off their soft caps or mortarboards (only certain people are even allowed to wear their mortarboards inside – not the common graduates of course!) before anything could happen. The three Proctors, sitting on their thrones like royalty, would do this about three times. It was ridiculous.

                You know how at a normal university, your name is called out and you go up and get your certificate from someone and shake their hand? We don’t do that. We actually get our certificates sent to us in the post a month later, and instead of going up separately, we go up in a massive group. One of the people in this group has to hold hands with the Dean. (Yes, really. Thank God it wasn’t me.) And then comes the bowing.

The bowing. I’ve watched the video my Uncle made of me walking up and it turns out we bowed EIGHT TIMES. The Proctors watch you all bow to them, three consecutively, and then stand, and bow again, and again, and again… I felt like I was part of a pantomime. I was on the front row and I really couldn’t stop myself from smirking.

And of course after you hear a long paragraph of Latin you don’t understand, you have to respond with ‘Do fidem’ (apparently it means I swear) – yet you don’t even understand what you’re swearing to.

                After that you leave as everyone claps for you, and you come back with your fur hood attached to your graduation gown. This means you have officially been conferred with your degree from the university.

                Once the ceremony’s over, you stand outside and have to keep donning your mortarboard to all the university officials as they leave the premises.

                The whole thing was just a complete joke. But the graduation gown did look nice.

With the living legend that is my mum.

Click here to continue reading... Next post:

Part 6: The Work.

No comments:

Post a Comment